Mondays with MGP: Portrait Planning Guide

Monday, February 20, 2017


Get excited, y'all! Every Monday I'll be posting a "Mondays with MGP" post. What does that mean? While I'm still exploring exactly what that means myself, I do have some goals for these posts. I plan for the content to be informative for clients, as well as other photographers. I will discuss a range of topics and questions, I have a few ideas to start with but I'm open to suggestions! So do you have any questions for me? Or topics you would like to see me cover? Please ask away!

For my first ever "Mondays with MGP" I'm going to share a portrait planning guide I created a few weeks back and shared on social media. It got a great response and I truly do think it'll be a good tool for clients to use when planning family portraits!



This little guide came to be because recently I've gotten feedback from a few clients that they while they LOVED their images, they didn't feel the colors meshed with their home decor/color scheme.This was due to whatever time of year they were taken in, and whatever foliage was available as the background color. So I set out to make a guide to showcase exactly what you're getting with each month. Obviously it varies location to location, but overall you'll see the following in Northern Virginia:


January-April: no leaves on trees. Images will be bright and the background could be bare. Sometimes in April spring begins to show up, but the foliage will still be sparse.

May-August: plenty of green foliage for bright backgrounds, and lots of gorgeous sunlight. If you want bright, saturated, colorful images then this is the ideal time to have a session.

September-December: I have lots to say about these months. They are officially the busiest time of year for photographers. September brings the beginning of some gorgeous fall colors on the leaves. September and October are generally the months to get pictures done if you want bright oranges and yellows in the background. November 2016 let fall stick around a bit longer and we had great fall color, when usually we do not! A lot of people don't think about December for photo sessions, but they're some of my favorites. After the fall leaves have all dropped, there is suddenly a flood of bright winter light. These sessions tend to be very light, and I just love how they look.

I hope this helps you as you think about when to have pictures done! My calendar is already filling up so if you think you would like a session at a certain time of year, or a certain weekend, please check with me!  Thank you for your continued support and I hope this guide makes planning when to get your family pictures done this year a little easier!



No comments

Post a Comment